Abortion Rights in P.E.I. – Lobby Group Fights for Equal Rights

CBC NEWS – November 8, 2011 – The P.E.I. Reproductive Rights Organization, a newly formed abortion rights group, is asking the provincial government to provide more information for P.E.I. women who want to obtain an abortion.

Many women, such as co-founder Kandace Hagen, have had to travel as far as Halifax in order to have access to the procedure and have had to pay as much as $1,000.  This is mainly due to the fact that P.E.I. is the only province in Canada where legal abortions are not performed. Women find themselves having to travel to Halifax or Fredericton in order to have access to the procedure.

The group calls for the provincial government to provide more information to women as well as cover all the associated costs. The first rally takes place on November 19th in front of P.E.I.’s Province House.

10 Comments on "Abortion Rights in P.E.I. – Lobby Group Fights for Equal Rights"

1. Carolina Alvarado | 08/11/2011 at 11:04 pm |

How can the government be so cold to women and their rights? It’s unbelievable. It seems we are goign back in time where more of our rights as women are diminished! Abortion is a right for us. It’s our body. We choose what we want to do with it. How can they not legalize this and not inform us as well as citizens of the procedure? They just leave us in the cold.

I completely support this group and support in spirit this rally!

2. Nikolitsa Katsoulias, University of Ottawa | 09/11/2011 at 1:06 am |

Thank you for your comment Carolina. It should be noted that P.E.I. is currently the only province in Canada that has this restriction.

3. Carolina Alvarado | 09/11/2011 at 2:03 pm |

All it takes is one. It makes this even more unfair that P.E.I. is excluded from the rest of Canada that has access to legal abortion. Whatever happened to equal rights for all women in this case?…

4. Anonymous | 10/11/2011 at 12:20 am |

I am all for Womens rights and as to whether they have the right to obtain an abortion if needed. It would be more easy for women here on the island if they did not have to travel to obatin this procedure and would also have more of a support system. However I don’t think it should be up to the tax payers dollars to employee doctors specifically for this type of clinic. It is your choice to get this procedure and therefore it should be at your own expense. With a clinic being on the Island it would majorly help cut a great deal of travelling costs.

5. Publicly Funded Abortions | 10/11/2011 at 10:12 am |

To Anonymous – it is also your choice to smoke and subsequently seek treatment if you become ill as a result. We pay for that. If you drive a car, you’re running the risk (and not a small one) that you may get into an accident – when that happens we don’t tell people to pay for their own choices. Pregnancy is a very real, persistent risk for women – there is about a 30 year time span during which it’s possible to get pregnant, and it’s estimated that about 50% of pregnancies are unintended. There is nothing more serious for a woman than being pregnant, with the prospect of having a child looming over her, when she doesn’t want to, can’t do it emotionally or financially, and may even be abused (by parents or a partner) if the pregnancy were to go to term. Will you tell a 13 year old girl to suck it up and pay for her own choices? What is she supposed to do if she can’t? There are also myriad things that can go wrong in a pregnancy and affect a woman’s health and can even cost her her life. Therefore, being able to terminate a pregnancy is just part of women’s healthcare and it should be publicly funded. To not do so would be to ignore a huge and fundamental aspect of women’s health and would be to discriminate against women. Abortions cost less to taxpayers than supporting mothers who couldn’t afford to parent in the first place and have to rely on assistance. If your objection is that people should be able to opt out of funding things they don’t agree with, it doesn’t work that way, as I already pointed out. Besides, your federal tax dollars already go towards funding abortions in other provinces – in this case it’s just discriminating against women because they live in a particular province. New Brunswick also discriminates against it’s female residents in this way.

6. A clinic on the Island would b more convienent. But the question is. Would the rate of abortions rise as there would b easy access to the clinic? I am tax paying Islander and I say if a woman needs to visit this clinic they should pay for it! Why should money out of my pay cheque go towards something I do not believe in?

7. Nikolitsa Katsoulias, University of Ottawa | 10/11/2011 at 11:25 am |

Dear Starr,

Some people believe that the solution to the potential problem that you indentified is to have some legal restriction on abortion. In other words abortion would be accessible to all women equally province-wide but with a restricted amount of times a woman can access the procedure before it becomes an out-of-pocket expense. What do you think of this so-called solution? I would be interested to hear from all who have commented so far on this post.

8. Aylin Berberian,University of Ottawa, Civil Law | 10/11/2011 at 3:43 pm |

This is insane! It’s totally unfair for women. I don’t think this will be going on for too long. They should find a solution to this unfairness it is just ridiculous to even think of such a possibility for women to travel elsewhere to get an abortion and pay all the costs and fees of these procedures. I just think that the group is doing a good job. I’m all for this group!

9. Anonymous | 10/11/2011 at 7:27 pm |

I agree with everything this group is fighting for, however I do think that there should be some criteria to the cost being covered by the tax payers. Such as risks to the patient’s health, conception as a result of rape, etc. Not saying it should always be such a sever case as these two examples, but the cost being covered opens the door for abuse of the system put in place to afford women the rights they so richly deserve. Not to say everyone would or will, but tax payers shouldn’t pay for birth control, so to speak.

10. Anonymous | 15/11/2011 at 5:31 pm |

To Publicly Funded Abortions – I do agree that under certain circumstances such as health risks women should be able to access these clinics as a part of our healthcare. That being sad there should also be a criteria that goes hand in hand with the procedure. I believe that if this procedure was “free” in Prince Edward Island that it would be greatly abused. I myself would not expect others to pay for me if i was to get this procedure done. As a sexually active women you know the risks that come with having intercourse. We pay for other methods of birth control ourselves and don’t expect everyone else to be giving us birth control when we need it. Its the responsibility of the person(s)engaging in intercourse to take responsibility that may come from this. As a mother if my underage child was to become pregnant and wanted to have this procedure done I believe it would be (my) responsibility to cover costs associated with it. I do not believe this procedure should be up to tax payers in any province.

Comments are closed.